Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Miam ! Sushi party !!

This past week end, our friend Yoshi came over to our house to show us how to make sushi and let me tell you I was SO excited !!

First stop : getting the fish... Yoshi knew a place where we could get amazing fresh fish, so we went there and got some tuna, salmon, yellowtail, crab, shrimp and fresh ginger.


Second stop : Japanese supermarket... Here we got some rice vinegar, soy sauce, rice, dry seaweed (in sheets for the sushi and in small pieces for the miso soup), miso paste, tofu, scallions, frozen edamame, sesame seeds (optional) and some kiwi gummy candies just because I like them.


We then went home and start prepping the food which turned out to be fairly easy as the fish had already been cut in slices at the store, and all I had to do was to cut some avocado, cucumber and scallions while Yoshi was making the sushi rice.
Go Yoshi !

Sushi rice :
for 6 people, you need approximately 4 cups of dried rice
Wash the rice 3 times until the water is clear (and not white)
Place it in the rice cooker (but you could boil it too)
Add some water (1 cup of rice = 1.2-1.5 cup of water) (precise instructions courtesy of Yoshi) (be careful not to put too much water, you don't want the rice to be too soft)
Let rice soak in water for 15-20 min  and then cook it for another 20 min
When the rice is cooked, add some rice vinegar and mix it well (100ml for 3 cups of rice, we used 1/3 cup here)
Put in a bowl and cover with a tea towel (so it doesn't dry out)
 
While the rice was soaking/cooking, we prep the edamame (open bag-pour in boiling water-drain-add salt, that's it) and started to make the miso soup (my favorite !)

Yoshi in action and me pretending to be doing something helpful in the kitchen


Miso soup :
Boil some water
Add dry seaweed and tofu cut in cubes (or any other shape you like)
Bring the water to a boil again and then turn it off 
Start adding miso paste (SLOWLY) (here we added 2 big tablespoons)
Add scallions and some sesame seeds
(if you have some leftover for the next day, reheat the soup without boiling it)

After that (and after I ate all the kiwi gummy candies) we were finally ready to start eating and drinking.

My friend Sophie showed off her perfect sushi-matching manicure (love that color !)

And Yoshi showed us how to make some temaki  (the easiest way to make sushi really, you can't go wrong and also because we forgot to get a bamboo mat to make maki at the store). So it goes this way : take some seaweed cut in half (or a quarter but that was a tiny bit small), spread some sushi rice (not too much), add fish and whatever you want, roll, dip in soy sauce, eat
Super simple and super delicious...

You can also make nigiri (rice with fish on top) and maki (roll) fairly easily once you have all of the above ready. I found this great video that explains how to make those.

Do you like sushi ? Have ever tried to make some ?? I actually found the whole thing to be much easier than I thought... Obviously it's easier when somebody is showing you (thanks Yoshi !)

And guess what, today is sushi day at work (I'm serious) so I'm about to pay a visit to my 2 favorite Japanese people (after Yoshi of course) downstairs at the cafeteria

Bises xx

11 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it and you are so lucky for having a sushi day at work today...How is that? hahaha
    I try to make sushi every few weeks at home as Balazs loves it. We have a great little fresh sea food market near us and I always go there.
    Btw: I love the nailpolish:)

    Glad you had fun,sweetie
    Kisses

    Ps: I’m hosting a sweet t-shirt GIVEAWAY today, so please join in :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun evening! And everything looks so yummy. I think I'm too lazy to try making sushi on my own but it'd be fun to organise a sushi evening like this one with my friends. Thanks for inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so much fun. I love this idea - friends coming round to teach you something new. Genius xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crazy jealous, that looks amazing! I love suchi - it's so expensive here though - I'm going to eat some when I go home to the states :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest... the food I hate the most in the world is sushi!!! :D I can't help it, raw fish irritates me! :D Thank you for joining the Ex-Presso / Blog couture giveaway! I hope you'll win! ;)
    xxx

    http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post. I wrote one about wrapping sushi once. I love that you had a party. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fabulous!!! I've always wanted to learn how to make sushi. Glad you had a wonderful time :)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh gosh...i LOVE love love sushi!!! this is such a neat post. looks like it was a fabulous evening. I've done this with friends before and it was wonderful! makes me want to plan another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh looks like a lot of fun and friendship!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ! I love reading your comments
Have a lovely day xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...